How to apply for a K-1 Fiancé Visa
- Step 1: File Form I-129F.
- Step 2: File Form DS-160.
- Step 3: Attend your visa interview and pay the visa fee.
- Step 4: Come to the United States and get married!
21 jul. 2020
- As the US citizen, you must file a petition with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Your fiancé (e) will then apply for the K1 visa in their home country. After they arrive in the US, you have 90 days to get married. Once married, your new spouse can apply for a green card to remain in the country.
- 1 What documents are needed for a fiance visa?
- 2 Can you file k1 visa online?
- 3 What are the requirements for a US fiance visa?
- 4 How much does it cost to start a k1 visa?
- 5 How much money do you need to make to get a fiance visa?
- 6 What documents do I need for K1 visa interview?
- 7 How long does K1 visa take 2020?
- 8 Can I enter the US while waiting for K1 visa?
- 9 What percentage of fiance visas are approved?
- 10 What is faster fiance or marriage visa?
- 11 Do you have to be engaged to apply for a fiance visa?
- 12 What questions do they ask in a K1 visa interview?
- 13 How long do you have to stay married for green card?
- 14 What happens if my fiancé leaves me after marriage on a K1 visa?
What documents are needed for a fiance visa?
Sponsored Fiancé Documents
- Two passport -style photos.
- Birth certificate.
- Valid, unexpired passport.
- Police clearance obtained from all countries of residence of more than six months since the age of 16.
- Sealed medical exam form (obtained through physician abroad who is authorized by the State Department)
Can you file k1 visa online?
All K visa applicants are required to complete the online paperless DS-160 (Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application ). K visa petitioners will continue to use the I-129F (PDF 484KB) petition form.
What are the requirements for a US fiance visa?
The K-1 fiancé visa requirements include:
- Both you and your fiancé must be single and eligible to be married under U.S. law.
- If you or your fiancé have been married previously, you’ll need to provide divorce or death certificates for any previous spouse.
- The sponsoring partner must be a U.S. citizen.
How much does it cost to start a k1 visa?
Basic K1 Visa Cost Overview
|Government Fees||Variable Costs|
|Everyone pays these.||Varies based on your situation.|
|USCIS Filing Fee: $535||Travel Costs|
|Embassy Fee: $265||Medical Exam (Varies by country.)|
|Total Government fees: $800||Assistance (ie. RapidVisa or an attorney)|
How much money do you need to make to get a fiance visa?
In dollars and cents, this means that you must have stable earnings of at least $16,910 per year for a two-person household (in 2019) to qualify as financial sponsor for a fiancé(e) visa petition, and you must have stable earnings of at least $21,137 per year for a two-person household to qualify as financial sponsor
What documents do I need for K1 visa interview?
When you attend the K-1 visa interview, it’s recommended that you take the following documents with you:
- DS-160 Confirmation.
- Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé
- Form I-797, Notice of Action (petition approval notice)
- Valid passport.
- Medical Examination.
- Form I-134, Affidavit of Support.
- Passport-style photos.
How long does K1 visa take 2020?
If you and your fiancé meet all K1 visa requirements, your application will likely be approved. The estimated timeframe to obtain an approval if you choose the K1 visa route depends on USCIS processing timelines. Nonetheless, as a very general estimate, it can take approximately 6-9 months for a decision.
Can I enter the US while waiting for K1 visa?
Visiting After Receiving a K-1 Visa Once your I-129F is approved and you receive a K-1 visa, you won’t be able to come on temporary visits to the United States.
What percentage of fiance visas are approved?
According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), around 90 percent of fiancé visas were approved in 2016. In 2017, when President Donald Trump took office, the percentage of approved fiancé visas dropped to around 66 percent.
What is faster fiance or marriage visa?
If your main goal is to get to the U.S. as quickly as possible, then the fiancé (e) visa is likely the fastest option. But if your goal is to get an actual green card as soon as possible, then a marriage -based visa will be quicker.
Do you have to be engaged to apply for a fiance visa?
No, you don’t need to show an engagement ring for you to be able to file a K1 visa petition for you fiance – You, however, need to show your intent to get married within 90 days of her admission into the United States.
What questions do they ask in a K1 visa interview?
K1 Visa Interview Questions
- What are your name and birthday?
- Where were you born?
- What is your nationality?
- Have you ever visited the United States before?
- Were you ever involved in marriage before?
- Do you have children? [If the answer is yes, then the children coming with you to the US will have to accompany you on the interview.]
How long do you have to stay married for green card?
There’s yet another benefit to being married to a U.S. citizen: Three years from the date you become a permanent resident, you can apply for U.S. citizenship, so long as you remain married to and living with the citizen. Most green card holders have to wait five years before applying for U.S. citizenship.
What happens if my fiancé leaves me after marriage on a K1 visa?
After you get married, you have to apply for her Green Card (also know as Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status). If your fiancé leaves the US without the Advance Parole Re-Entry Permit, she may be denied entry and the Green Card petition may be cancelled.