How to apply for a K-1 Fiancé Visa
- Step 1: File Form I-129F.
- Step 2: File Form DS-160.
- Step 3: Attend your visa interview and pay the visa fee.
- Step 4: Come to the United States and get married!
21 jul. 2020
- To get the K1 visa you must fulfill the following criteria: Be engaged to a US citizen. Have the intention to marry within 90 days of them entering the US. Have proof of your relationship before the engagement.
To apply for a K1 visa, you must follow these steps: The US citizen will first need permission from USCIS for the foreign citizen fiancé to visit in the US. This permission is obtained by filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance to USCIS. The petition must be filed from within the US and cannot be filed from abroad.
- 1 How much does a K1 visa cost?
- 2 How long does it take to get a K1 visa?
- 3 How do I qualify for a K1 visa?
- 4 How much money do you need to sponsor a K1 visa?
- 5 Do I need a lawyer for K1 visa?
- 6 Can my fiance visit while waiting for K1 visa?
- 7 How much does a 90 day fiance visa cost?
- 8 How long is a fiance visa good for?
- 9 What is faster fiance or marriage visa?
- 10 What happens if you divorce on a K1 visa?
- 11 Can I marry an American on a tourist visa?
- 12 What questions do they ask in a K1 visa interview?
- 13 Why would a K1 visa be refused?
- 14 Can I work with a K1 visa?
- 15 Can illegal marry US citizen?
How much does a K1 visa cost?
As of early 2021, the filing fees for the K-1 process were $535 for Form I-129F (filed with USCIS), $265 to apply for the K visa (paid to the consulate), and $1,225 for Form I-485 and the adjustment of status packet (filed with USCIS), including the biometrics fee. That brings the total government U.S. fee to $2,025.
How long does it take to get a K1 visa?
K-1 Visa Timeline It takes 6-9 months ( 7 months on average) for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to process Form I-129F (technically called the “Petition for Alien Fiancé”), and an additional 4-6 weeks for the agency to send an interview request at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
How do I qualify for a K1 visa?
K-1 Visa Requirements
- Be a United States Citizen. The U.S. petitioner must be able to prove he or she is a United States citizen.
- Be Legally Free to Marry.
- Intend to Marry Within 90 Days.
- Have Physically Met the Fiance Within 2 Years.
- Meet the Income Requirement.
How much money do you need to sponsor a K1 visa?
In dollars and cents, this means that you must have stable earnings of at least $16,910 per year for a two-person household (in 2019) to qualify as financial sponsor for a fiancé(e) visa petition, and you must have stable earnings of at least $21,137 per year for a two-person household to qualify as financial sponsor
Do I need a lawyer for K1 visa?
The law does not require that you use an immigration attorney to complete K-1 petition documents such as the Form I-129F. You may need help writing in the answers to questions on USCIS forms or translating documents into English. You can get this type of limited help from anyone.
Can my fiance visit while waiting for K1 visa?
You cannot reside in the United States on a B-2 tourist visa or on the Visa Waiver Program while waiting on a K1 fiancé visa or K3 spousal visa. However, you can make a temporary visit on those visas.
How much does a 90 day fiance visa cost?
Fiancé visa cost: $2,025 The foreign fiancé completes a visa application (Form DS-160), submits it online (or according to the local consulate’s instructions), and pays the $265 visa fee. The foreign fiancé goes to an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, and presents any requested documents during the interview.
How long is a fiance visa good for?
The visa will be valid for six months from the date it was issued. Once the fiancé enters the United States, the marriage must take place within 90 days from the date of entry.
What is faster fiance or marriage visa?
If your main goal is to get to the U.S. as quickly as possible, then the fiancé (e) visa is likely the fastest option. But if your goal is to get an actual green card as soon as possible, then a marriage -based visa will be quicker.
What happens if you divorce on a K1 visa?
Divorce before or after filing the I -485 (Adjustment of Status) If you divorce your sponsoring fiance (e) before filing the I -485, then you will likely lose residency. You may not be able to file for a green card. You and your K2 children may lose immigration rights and leave the US.
Can I marry an American on a tourist visa?
Can I Marry A US Citizen on A Tourist Visa? The short answer is: yes, you can get married in the US while on a B-1/B-2 tourist visa or on a visa waiver program. In fact, you are even allowed to come to the US as a visitor with the sole intention of getting married.
What questions do they ask in a K1 visa interview?
K1 Visa Interview Questions
- What are your name and birthday?
- Where were you born?
- What is your nationality?
- Have you ever visited the United States before?
- Were you ever involved in marriage before?
- Do you have children? [If the answer is yes, then the children coming with you to the US will have to accompany you on the interview.]
Why would a K1 visa be refused?
Your K-1 visa petition may be denied if one or both of you do not meet the legal requirements to get married in the U.S. The most common scenario is when either or both of you haven’t terminated your previous marriage(s).
Can I work with a K1 visa?
As a K-1 visa holder, you can work in the U.S. only if, after entering, you apply for and receive a work permit. This is known by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). It is a small plastic card with your photo on it.
Can illegal marry US citizen?
If you are an undocumented immigrant in the United States (sometimes referred to as an ” illegal alien”), nothing stops you from marrying a U.S. citizen, or most anyone else you wish to marry. U.S. citizens marry illegal immigrants on a regular basis.