How to apply for a K-1 Fiancé Visa
- Step 1: File Form I-129F.
- Step 2: File Form DS-160.
- Step 3: Attend your visa interview and pay the visa fee.
- Step 4: Come to the United States and get married!
21 jul. 2020
Learn how to apply a US fiancé K1 visa step by step
- Submit Form I-129F to USCIS. The first form that applicants must submit is an I-129F.
- Submit an online application and request an appointment with the US Embassy in Thailand.
- Health check. Applicants must make an appointment with the hospital that is accredited by the embassy at least 1 week before the scheduled interview appointment with the Embassy.
- Prepare interview materials. Preparing documents for the day of the interview is another important step in applying for a K1 Visa.
- K1 Visa Interview. Before going to the interview, make sure you have all of your documents completed and please arrive at the embassy earlier than your interview appointment
- 1 How long does it take to get a K-1 fiance visa?
- 2 How much does a K1 visa cost?
- 3 What are the requirements for a K1 visa?
- 4 Can I file K1 visa online?
- 5 Can my fiance visit while waiting for K1 visa?
- 6 Can I visit the US while waiting for K1 visa?
- 7 How much income do I need to sponsor my fiance?
- 8 Do I need a lawyer for K1 visa?
- 9 What happens if my fiance leaves me after marriage on a K1 visa?
- 10 What is faster fiance or marriage visa?
- 11 What questions do they ask in a K1 visa interview?
- 12 How long does fiance visa take 2021?
- 13 What percentage of fiance visas are approved?
- 14 What is the income requirement for a K1 visa?
- 15 How much does it cost to file I-129F?
How long does it take to get a K-1 fiance visa?
K-1 Visa Timeline It takes 6-9 months ( 7 months on average) for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to process Form I-129F (technically called the “Petition for Alien Fiancé”), and an additional 4-6 weeks for the agency to send an interview request at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
How much does a K1 visa cost?
As of early 2021, the filing fees for the K-1 process were $535 for Form I-129F (filed with USCIS), $265 to apply for the K visa (paid to the consulate), and $1,225 for Form I-485 and the adjustment of status packet (filed with USCIS), including the biometrics fee. That brings the total government U.S. fee to $2,025.
What are the requirements for a K1 visa?
The K-1 fiancé visa requirements include:
- Both you and your fiancé must be single and eligible to be married under U.S. law.
- If you or your fiancé have been married previously, you’ll need to provide divorce or death certificates for any previous spouse.
- The sponsoring partner must be a U.S. citizen.
Can I file K1 visa online?
All K visa applicants are required to complete the online paperless DS-160 (Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application ). K visa petitioners will continue to use the I-129F (PDF 484KB) petition form.
Can my fiance visit while waiting for K1 visa?
You cannot reside in the United States on a B-2 tourist visa or on the Visa Waiver Program while waiting on a K1 fiancé visa or K3 spousal visa. However, you can make a temporary visit on those visas.
Can I visit the US while waiting for K1 visa?
Visiting After Receiving a K-1 Visa Once your I-129F is approved and you receive a K-1 visa, you won’t be able to come on temporary visits to the United States.
How much income do I need to sponsor my fiance?
In dollars and cents, this means that you must have stable earnings of at least $16,910 per year for a two-person household (in 2019) to qualify as financial sponsor for a fiancé (e) visa petition, and you must have stable earnings of at least $21,137 per year for a two-person household to qualify as financial sponsor
Do I need a lawyer for K1 visa?
The law does not require that you use an immigration attorney to complete K-1 petition documents such as the Form I-129F. You may need help writing in the answers to questions on USCIS forms or translating documents into English. You can get this type of limited help from anyone.
What happens if my fiance leaves me after marriage on a K1 visa?
After you get married, you have to apply for her Green Card (also know as Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status). If your fiancé leaves the US without the Advance Parole Re-Entry Permit, she may be denied entry and the Green Card petition may be cancelled.
What is faster fiance or marriage visa?
If your main goal is to get to the U.S. as quickly as possible, then the fiancé (e) visa is likely the fastest option. But if your goal is to get an actual green card as soon as possible, then a marriage -based visa will be quicker.
What questions do they ask in a K1 visa interview?
K1 Visa Interview Questions
- What are your name and birthday?
- Where were you born?
- What is your nationality?
- Have you ever visited the United States before?
- Were you ever involved in marriage before?
- Do you have children? [If the answer is yes, then the children coming with you to the US will have to accompany you on the interview.]
How long does fiance visa take 2021?
As of 2021, if you do everything correctly, avoid getting a request for evidence, and aren’t from a high-fraud area, the process is taking on average from 6 to 9 months, from start to finish. Please keep in mind all our timelines are rearward looking, meaning we can only give an estimate of approvals we see currently.
What percentage of fiance visas are approved?
According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), around 90 percent of fiancé visas were approved in 2016. In 2017, when President Donald Trump took office, the percentage of approved fiancé visas dropped to around 66 percent.
What is the income requirement for a K1 visa?
Based on the 2020 poverty guidelines, the petitioner would require an income of at least $17,240 to meet the K-1 visa income requirements in all states except for Alaska and Hawaii.
How much does it cost to file I-129F?
USCIS filing fees to file Form I-129F when filing for a fiancé(e) is $535.